FINAL wellatschool notext


Supporting Children with Medical
and Mental Health Needs at School


facebook instagram twitter



ulises baga 654424 unsplash long

The school and medical staff that may be involved in the support of a student

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Team (CAMHS)

A team of professionals involved in the care of children and young people experiencing mental health difficulties - psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health nurses, occupational therapists, family therapists and social workers.

Art Therapist

Art therapists work with people who may have a wide range of difficulties, disabilities or diagnoses. Art therapy is a form of psychotherapy that uses art media as its primary mode of expression and communication.

Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)

A CNS is a clinical expert in nursing practice within a specialty area, for example, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease. They are part of a multidisciplinary team and can offer advice and support to schools.

Clinical Psychologist

A psychologist trained to understand how people feel and behave. They can be trained to deliver psychological treatments, for example, CBT and DBT.


A counsellor will help people experiencing emotional difficulties to understand and manage their feelings using talking therapy.

Early Support Care Co-ordinator

Work with families and are responsible for co-ordinating multi-agency support for children with complex special educational needs and disabilities

Educational Psychologist

A psychologist specialising in assessing and supporting children and young people who may have learning, behaviour and mental health needs. They may also work with teachers to improve how schools support the needs of all students.

Education Welfare Officer

Work with schools and families to help support good attendance at school.

Family Therapist

A family therapist works with families and people in close relationships to help them communicate and better understand the problems they are having.

Mental Health Nurse

Works as part of the CAMHS team to deliver care and treatment for people with mental health needs. They can make assessments and deliver treatment in hospital and in the community.

Occupational Therapist (OT)

Work with people on everyday activities that are essential for health and wellbeing. They also make assessments and formulate treatment plans.


A doctor specialising in the treatment of children and young people.


A doctor trained to diagnose and treat mental health conditions. They can prescribe medication.


Psychotherapists are mental health professionals trained to listen to a person's problems to try to find out what's causing them and help them find a solution.


Help people to improve movement and overall body function.

School Nurse or Designated School Nurse

A health professional responsible for supporting schools to take care of student’s medical and mental health.

Speech and Language Therapist (SLT)

Make assessments and develop plans to improve a student’s communication skills.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCO)

A teacher responsible for coordinating support for students with additional learning needs and medical and mental health needs.

Social Worker

A professional working to keep children and young people safe. Some social workers may be trained to support mental health treatment.

Follow Us

Follow Us
Join the conversation
facebook instagram twitter


Sign up for our  NEWSLETTER



HOPE (Hospital Organisation of Pedagogues in Europe)