Autistic spectrum disorder - help at school
- Recognise when I am overloaded.
- I may cover my ears, pace the floor, become restless and try to move away from you.
- Try using a calm voice and reassurance to help me calm down.
- I may like music or space and time to be on my own.
- Understand that I may find it very difficult to learn about things I am not interested in.
- Please try and find something I am interested in as a possible way into a new topic.
Think before you speak
- I may take all that you say literally so please think about the words and phrases that you use and check out my perceptions of what is being asked.
- I may only be able to look or listen, but not do both together!
- If I am not looking at you it does not mean I am not listening.
- Check by asking me.
- Give me time to acclimatise to change.
- I am not very good at sudden changes.
- It can make me very anxious.
It makes a huge difference for me to know that there is an adult at my school who knows all about my condition and who I can talk to if I am worried or unwell.