Help me manage my Hydrocephalus at school
How my condition might impact my learning
- I may have difficulty in organising myself which might delay me in starting an activity.
- I may rely on my neighbour and copy their work without understanding what I am doing.
What you (teachers) can do to help
- I might need you to help me establish routines using visual prompts.
- Breaking down tasks into smaller chunks will help me to understand more easily.
- As I may give up easily or run out of time to complete my work, giving me a visual representation of time and small manageable chunks of work really helps.
- Keep an eye on me as any particular sudden change or deterioration in my behaviour may mean that I am experiencing medical problems with my shunt. If this happens please contact my parents / carers immediately.I may benefit from multisensory resources to support my understanding of number concepts and letter shapes.
- I may have poor writing skills and would benefit from supportive resources i.e. a sloping desk and uncluttered, written instructions.