Anxiety disorders - help at school
- Encourage me to talk
- Talking will not make the situation worse. Although sometimes it may take a while for me to open up. Listen and please be patient.
- Talking can be hard initially.
- Sometimes it can help to do something practical together to help break the ice.
- Do not say "you understand and that I should snap out of it!"
- Let me know that you do care and want to help.
- Try not to get frustrated
- Please don't jump to conclusions about how I might be feeling.
- Remind me that I am good at things
- It is easy to lose sight of this when I am feeling anxious.
- Help me to prioritise and organise my workload.
- Sometimes it can seem overwhelming.
It makes a huge difference for me to know that there is an adult at my school who knows all about my condition and who I can talk to if I am worried or unwell.