What to do if someone has an asthma attack
Steps to follow in an asthma attack, for both children and adults.
- Use their reliever inhaler (usually blue) immediately.
- Sit them down and ensure that any tight clothing is loosened. Do not lie down.
- If no immediate improvement during an attack, continue to take one puff of their reliever inhaler every minute for five minutes or until symptoms improve.
- If their symptoms do not improve in five minutes, or you are in doubt, call 999 or a doctor urgently.
- Continue to take one puff of their reliever inhaler every minute until help arrives.